[K12OSN] 4.2.0 beta #2

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Nov 21 17:58:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 11:28, Eric Harrison wrote:

> If you are doing a network install, and are using the first CD to
> boot from, then you can use the 4.2.0 beta 1 disc1 or a stock FC3
> disc 1 to boot.

I guess the kernel has become so bloated that they've given up on
floppy booting completely.  Downloading to an NFS-exported directory
and burning only the first CD which you boot with 'linux askmethod'
at the boot prompt is probably the easiest approach.  However there
are still some alternatives.  If you have a small USB flash drive
and your server will boot from USB there is a 6+meg image that you
can use.  You have to copy this in image mode so it will wipe out
anything already on the flash though.  If you happen to have an
old compact flash (etc.) that came with a camera and is now too
small to consider using, it will work for this with a matching
USB adapter.

There is also a pxe-bootable install kernel that shouldn't be too
hard to glue into the ltsp framework.  You can get to these without
burning the CD by mounting the first .iso file somewhere with the
'-o loop' option in the mount command.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com