[K12OSN] Linux cut off

k12osn at collinsoft.com k12osn at collinsoft.com
Mon Nov 22 16:47:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
> > What we should be focusing on is the *concept* of word processing.  Same
> > with using a spreadsheet--any spreadsheet, or any presentation
> > software.  I don't want kids only being able to use Microsoft products;
> > they're no good to me in my shop, and I won't--and can't--hire them.
>
> I do, however, address the job preparation role of schools.  One of my
> 'objections' slides is that everyone uses Microsoft, so it would be
> irresponsible to use anything but in the schools.  I overcome this
> objection by stating

When I was in school WordPerfect and Lotus were the dominant applications.
No one would have ever believed that they could be toppled, and so you had
to learn them. We know how that turned out....

I installed LTSP in our business/keyboarding lab when it came time to
upgrade the Win95 w/MSOffice 97 (Pentium II with 32 MB of RAM). I put LTSP
and OpenOffice.org with an XP them and told them that I've upgraded their
machines. The differences between MSOffice 97/2000 and Office XP are much
different from the differences between MSOffice 97/2000 and
OpenOffice.org. Most word processing doesn't get past tabs and tables.

--
Ryan Collins
Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools