[K12OSN] Hard Drive Upgrade Quandary

Ken Meyer kmeyer at blarg.net
Fri Nov 26 23:22:53 UTC 2004

Excuse me, but I have not asserted results of my personal experience in any
respect.  On the other hand, I have been a primary organizer for the Greater
Seattle Linux Users Group for several years, I have engineering degrees from
Princeton and the University of Washington, and many years experience
insuring the integrity of flight-critical digital systems.  What's your
claim to authority?

I quoted a website that conducts very thorough testing of hard drives, and
which has been around for a long time.  There is a lot of insightful
tutorial material on the site, and I see no reason to question the generic
quality of their conclusions.  And I referenced Chris's comments to this
list about thoughtful experiments and contacts with 3Ware that he has
conducted.

In other words, ALL of the information that I have cited IS from people who
have serious experience with QUANTITATIVE evaluations of RAID
implementation, and who are not limited to assessing whether the system
locks up or crashes or not.  "Works fine for me" is useful information, but
does not necessarily indicate that optimum performance has been achieved.  I
didn't even mention the quality of Linux software RAID, which has engendered
some really very disparate opinions in the past.

In any event, I urged everyone to consult these references and evaluate
them, and I even allowed that others felt that striping was more beneficial
than storagereview maintains, though they have not provided any numbers that
I know of.

Is it the address to "Mr. Linux Bigot" that is the real, underlying source
of your ruffled feathers?  That was said in jest, as this entire, wonderful,
eminently helpful group at least leans in that direction, with the very most
charitable opinions expressed about M$ falling into the category of
"tolerance" or "accommodation of the inevitable."  At the least, as I said,
the appellation is certainly not a unique identifier within this group.

Ken Meyer

PS  You might consider not posting in HTML, if you profess to be so in tune
with the proclivities of this group.