[K12OSN] Re: XP CD burner problems

Sean Harbour SHarbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Mon Nov 29 21:32:16 UTC 2004

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:51:40 -0500
>From: "Dave Haley" <Dhaley at poland-hs.u29.k12.me.us>
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2.0-beta4, Nero 6 and booting
>To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
>	<k12osn at redhat.com>
>
>I'm not sure if this helps or not but I have experienced nothing but trouble
>downloading and burning FC3-I86. I am using Win XP and Iomega Hot Burn Pro
>with all the most recent up dates, XP and Iomega Hot Burn. After several
>attempts downloading and then burning, I finally got disk 1 to work, now I
>am on disk two. I just got a "426 failure writing network stream" as well as
>telling me that I don't have enough disk space, after a 1 1/2 hour download
>wait, when I in fact have 5 gig of space available. It seems every time I
>try to download and install, experienced problems with earlier versions as
>well, I have many problems, once I do get through all of this, Linux itself
>runs and performs great, just seems to be a bear to get to that point. Any
>suggestions are welcome!!!

First, it really sounds like you have some problems with your Windows XP machine.
Keep in mind that in my experience, when using windows to download really large files, it normally uses a temp file to store the download. Then, when it is done downloading, it will attempt to copy the file to a permanent name. This can cause problems because it needs at least twice the space on the filesystem as the file you are downloading, and it could need more depending on how your antivirus program is handling it.

You need to verify the md5sum of the iso image you downloaded. The easy way to do this is to copy the image over to a machine with the md5sum utility, such as your linux server. (There are free windows GUI md5sum utilities, use Google). Execute md5sum with the path and filename of the iso image as the argument afterwards. Wait a while. When it's done, compare the number with the one published by Eric. If they are identical, the iso file is good. Otherwise, dump it and try to figure out why it was corrupted. I have zero problems using the k3b utility under linux to burn ISO images, so you might want to put your CD burner in your linux server or linux workstation. If your server has internet access, just download it directly. Wget is a recommended way to do this, because of the auto resume feature, but you can click and save in the browser just like windows if you wish.

Hope this helps!

Sean Harbour
sean at harbours.us