[K12OSN] The boot problem again

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 30 17:50:04 UTC 2004

> Again, I am going to suggest adding "acpi=off" to the kernel command
> line. I had a similar problem with my Toshiba laptop. When
> you boot the
> disc, you normally say "linux", correct? Try using "linux
> acpi=off" and
> see what happens.
>
> Angus Carr

If his problem is like mine was he isn't even getting that far.  The CD
never even tries to boot, you either get the no operating system found
message or it will boot into whatever OS is currently on the machine.
But using the boot.iso CD works perfectly without the acpi=off statement
or any other changes.  I actually like the boot.iso CD with the extra
options to choose where to install from.  I never did a md5 check on my
iso's before burning so I can't say if my downloads were perfect.  I
don't find it all that frustrating to use the one extra disc.
Especially if I can use that disc to load from an alternate location
that allows me to not have to burn discs anymore.

I do hope to remedy this situation myself by no longer burning in
Windows anymore and switching to Linux for my Linux stuff.  I don't burn
Windows CD's from my Mac or Mac CD's from Windows, so I don't figure I
should burn Linux CD's from anything else either.

But I do hope whatever glitch is happening is figured out so that
newbees aren't turned away due to a minor difficulty.  I know when I
first tried Linux not burning from my Windows box could have been enough
to stop me, regardless if the error is consistant.  Maybe there is a bad
set of iso's sitting on a mirror or two somewhere and a few of us are
getting them but not others.  Maybe try a different mirror?

---