[K12OSN] deny IP based on MAC address....how?

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Oct 4 02:13:51 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Sunday, October 3, 2004 at 9:23 PM +0000 wrote:
>The problem with denying that mac address is the client will eventually
>give itself a 169.x.x.x address and continue to flood the network.
>Depending on the setup, it may or may not still be a risk, but it
>could still be chewing up bandwidth.
>
>How about assigning it 127.0.0.1? ;-)
>
>/etc/dhcpd.conf:
>
>	host goaway {
>		hardware ethernet 01:02:03:04:05:06; # insert mac here
>		fixed-address     127.0.0.1;
>    }
>
>I've never tried this, but it at least sounds like it might work...
>
>-Eric

Aha!  That just might work!  My plan is this....if I do this...someone may
eventually complain "my computer won't go online!" .....then I'll know
where it is!  :-)  Actually I have no record of it so I'm assuming it may
be a laptop or a donated machine that someone forgot to disconnect or
remove the HD on and thus the etherboot floppy might be popped out.  I've
been recessing most of the floppy drives to avoid this, but some I just
physically can't do it.  I'll let you know if it works!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us