[K12OSN] Update OOo/Mozilla with yum?

I have read some nightmare stories of updating OOo or Mozilla only to realize that each user must have some config files edited or desktop icons and menus not working. I have k12ltsp 3.1.2 with OOo 1.0.2 and Mozilla 1.2.1. Can I do

#yum update

without problems?

I have already done #yum check-update and listed packages OOo 1.0.2-11 and Mozilla 1.4.2 along with Xfree86 and whole bunch of other updates.
BTW I have excluded the kernel from being updated with yum. Call me chicken, but I'm just too scared it will hose the system.

Robert Arkiletian