Re: [K12OSN] SSH

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
Look for the

#Port 22

setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. It's near the top. Take out the #, change the number to the port you want to use, something above 1024. Be sure to restart sshd after you make the change.

I did the exact steps and changed to port 222.  Now I can connect on
port 222 via ssh but can also still connect on 22 as well.  Am I missing
something?  No big deal, I'll just block 22 on the firewall and let 222
through.  But I would like 22 to not be available internal as well.

Thanks for the help.

Don't use port 222, it's already reserved for something else. Use a port above 1024. On my box, setting the port to 2322 in sshd_config makes the daemon stop listening on port 22; I get rejected immediately if I try to connect on that port. Just for fun, I set the port to 222: nmap says something is listening on that port but I can't seem to connect. But since that port is reserved for another purpose, I suggest just staying away from it.

Petre