Re: [K12OSN] OT: Anyone got experience of Tomcat (windows and linux)

Really strange that someone would write an application based on open standards like tomcat and mysql, yet not have linux support out of the box.

Anyways,
A few things to look out for:

1. make sure you have a 1.4.2 j2se SDK http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
if you install the rpm file, it will likely install it in something like /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05 or something like that.
2 set up a couple of environmental variables
PATH may need to have /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin appended (or prepended) to it
test this with java -version on the command line. Should give you some versioning info it that worked right.
JAVA_HOME needs to be set to /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05
3. Not sure what version of tomcat the app uses, but most versions come with a startup.sh script that runs in linux
if you have any port conflicts for the http server part of tomcat, you can change that in the server.xml file in the tomcat directory

Java web applications are usually deployed in a .war file wich contain resources like JSP files, libraries, and other web content.
If youre lucky, they may have the .war file on their tomcat diretory installed on the windows box. You could just drop that into the webapps(i think) directory and it will deploy itself on the next restart of tomcat. As far as connecting to mysql, there are several ways to do that, hopefully its in a config file for you and not hard-coded into the application itself.

hope that helps...

Luis

James Vasey wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of using Apache Tomcat?
I have an (education history program with quicktime videos and java pages) application that is designed to run on Tomcat on Windows. does a full tomcat and mysql install on windows.
And no, their tech support, doesn't support linux.
However (thankfully) we dont have any windows servers to install the program and the server on.
What I'm wanting to do, is set up a windows server, install the things on there, and then move the data files across onto our Fedora Core 2 server.
I'm good with Apache, but have never done Java/Tomcat, just looking for guidance
James