Re: [K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:

There is indeed another way to do this (gotta love Free Software!). I have a couple of 32MB Pentium I terminals here that boot to K12LTSP from the hard disk. My NICs are 3Com 3C905 and Realtek 8129. No floppy needed for these babies. :-) Basically, you simply cat the EtherBoot floppy to your hard disk. Here's how I did it.

Make your EtherBoot boot floppy. Grab something like Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org) and burn the ISO image to a CD-R. Boot your terminal with it. D.S.L. has actually been shown to allow GUI access in 16MB DRAM on a 486!! (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html) Of course, I would recommend no less than 32MB on the clients.

Once you're booted, pop your EtherBoot boot floppy in and do this:

root box# cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda

What this will do is copy the contents of your EtherBoot floppy right to the hard disk, starting from Sector 0,0,1, thus over-writing your MBR and partition table (kiss that Windows 95 installation goodbye! :-D ). Your computer will from then on boot from the EtherBoot code every time, just like from a really, Really, REALLY fast, HUUUUUGE "boot floppy." The above command assumes an IDE disk, since that tends to describe most older 486/Pentiums. For SCSI disks, just replace "/dev/hda" with "/dev/sda"; D.S.L. correctly recognized my Adaptec 2930U, even though there's nothing on it. Of course all of this assumes that you have only one disk drive of any sort in the box, or if there's also a CD-ROM drive, that the hard disk (if IDE) is the primary master; CD-ROMs should ideally be the secondary master, if present.

HTH,

--TP

Terrel,
This is a super simple solution if you don't need the HD for anything else except to boot the client. I vote this gets put in to the wiki. Couldn't you also do this using Tom's Root Boot?
BTW I also had problems making Tom's Root Boot so I did it at home on Slackware and it worked.

Robert Arkiletian