Re: [K12OSN] CISCO vpn client for linux

Ah...that's unfortunate. That's not something that the VPN client can do anything about. You have to establish the VPN connection on the server, since, remember, the clients don't actually run anything besides, essentially, a kernel and an X11 server.

You're right; the service provider should know these answers, since what we're really talking about here (IP connectivity) is platform-agnostic. One way to deal with these people is to say that you've got a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, and that's how "it has been decided," that connectivity to this application "will take place," if you get my meaning. You don't have to tell them *who* made the decision. :-) I've found that this bit of sleight-of-hand can get answers when "cleaner" methods don't.

I would also ask them why they are limiting sessions by IP address instead of by actual authentication (user/password, certificates, etc.). How do they handle schools, like, say, my district, that use--matter of fact, *have* to use--Port Address Translation on our firewalls? Just about everybody today does this for a variety of reasons. My district couldn't function as it does without it.

--TP

Lewis Holcroft wrote:

Terrell,

I was premature with my excitement. While I am able to get the VPN Client running on my sandbox machine. I am not so fortunate with the production machine.

Perhaps you could answer a couple more questions I have? In my case the vpn client connection is made by my server. Each user can then start the "special" windows telnet client using wine. I have a problem in the that the service they connect to only allows one session per IP. Do you establish the vpn connection on the server, or do you somehow establish it on a per workstation basis? If the later how is this configured on the workstation sessions?

I realize the folks that I am trying to connect to should know the answers, but the word Linux gives them the heebee geebee's. Which is much better that the "we don't support that" answer.

Thanks is advance.

Lewis