[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 02:23:40 UTC 2004

OK.  That's easy (also speaking from what I think should be so rather
than what I've tried, but you affirmed the last one).  Have the server
auto-login to an account that automatically cranks up whatever apps
you want pre-loaded.  A startup script is one way, but using a GUI
that remembers what you had open last time you shut down seems easier.
 Given that the server isn't used by an actual human this shouldn't be
a problem.  If someone does use the console, another solution would be
to have something in rc.local that started a vncserver that cranked up
whatever you want to run.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:15:42 -0400, Shawn Powers
<spowers at inlandlakes.org> wrote:
> Jay Pfaffman wrote:
> > So OOs should load faster for
> > the 2nd and later users.
>
> I'll affirm this.  In our district, once someone has started OO, it
> takes literally about 4 seconds for the next folks to start it.  The
> first user usually has to wait 20-30 seconds, but after that it's like
> lightning. :)
>
> An rc.local script would be great if you could load some of the "big"
> programs in a virtual X session or something.  I'd love to be able to
> add 1 minute to start up time, and get the preloaded effect for the users.
>
> -Shawn

Jay Pfaffman                           <pfaffman at utk.edu>
Asst Professor of Instructional Technology, U. TN, Knoxville
Experimenting with gmail, please honor the Reply-To