Re: [K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller

Burke Almquist wrote:

On Oct 12, 2004, at 5:20 PM, Jeff Kinz wrote:

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 04:15:37PM -0600, Mario Guerra wrote:

I understand why software modems exist. But software RAID?. It's exceedingly
ridiculous. If you need RAID you need speed and reliability.

No.  The desire for RAID can come strictly for reliability. Speed
is not always an issue. (Although I certainly want it ! :) )

It could also be desired strictly for the speed increase.

If you were doing it for the speed increase, then why would you be using IDE drives and software RAID? SCSI drives and Hardware controllers are going to provide much better performance.

If you are doing it for reliability only, then why bother with pseudo-hardware RAID controllers, just use linux's built-in software RAID. It's probably more reliable than the pseudo-hardware stuff.

In the last two weeks, I have set up three such RAID systems using the Linux kernel's built-in RAID. This was done once with K12LTSP 3.1.2 and twice with SuSE Linux 9.1. It really wasn't very hard at all; took me about 10 minutes to get the hang of what I was doing. Performance seems to be OK so far for major disk reads/writes. Today, I had the need to copy over 20GB of data from one ATA-133 disk over to a RAID 1 made of twin 120GB SATA drives, and though I didn't time it, it certainly "felt" fast enough.

I can definitely say that setting up these three Linux-based software mirrors was easier than trying to find a "hardware SATA RAID" controller that works with the Linux kernel. For straight SATA, i. e. non-HW-RAID, I find Highpoint's RocketRAID 1520 controller up to the task and not very expensive ($69 at the local Micro Center). However, to avoid problems trying to use the second disk on this two-port controller, you'll need the 2.6 kernel. I know from experience that 2.6.5 and later works (SuSE Linux 9.1), so presumably it would also be fine with FC2 and K12LTSP 4.1.x. With the Linux software RAID on top of this, things turned out pretty sweet.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>