Re: [K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller

Some metrics for hardware vs software raid

http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/hosef-managers/2004q2/001841.html

We use a combination of both in our standard build. Software SCSI Raid for the System, 3ware SATA hardware raid for archiving and home.

We have found that it is easiest to buy hot swappable cannisters.

Our build list from NewEgg is here

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=904498

And we do not use the on-board sata headers. The dual gigabit nics, the third 10/100, and the scsi headers make this Tyan a good motherboard. It supports ZCR (zero channel raid) if the desire exists to use hardware scsi raid.

--scott