Re: [K12OSN] Intrigue !!!!

norbert wrote:

Hi,

I know that this is off topic but I had to share this "gem"......

The school board into which we have had fantastic success with K12ltsp in the schools has "announced" that they will replace at their cost the teacher computers, most of which are circa P-I !!!, with new Windows thin-clients.

Now the "kicker", after arguing with us that their strategic direction was to centralize all the servers, hence why the board was NOT supporting K12LTSP deployment, the board is offering to set-up & install locally SUN Servers to run the Windows thin-clients.

First comment - how in hell do you run a Windows thin-client from a SUN server and second why would anyone in their right mind agree to this.

Answer to first:

Perhaps this Windows thin client comes with an X11 server of some sort...or the Sun server somehow replicates Windows Terminal Server functionality.

Answer to second:

It's not their *personal* wallet, that's why. My district is equally idiotic. The only way to get such nutcases to change their minds is by public embarrassment and *lots* of negative media coverage w.r.t. their proposed direction. One angle could be that they're taking money otherwise spendable for the educational process itself and blowing it on expensive, unneeded "toys". That kind of thing always makes a good news story. It's a shame I've had to learn to think this way....

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>