Re: [K12OSN] e1000 client nic problem

Timothy Legge wrote:
On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:17, dale wrote:

Hello,
I am setting up a k12ltsp 4.1.1 server and a few clients at home with an 8 port Gb switch. I have an nforce based client with builtin 100Mb nic. I added an intel 82546 1Gb nic to net boot the client. When it

Why not just use the nvidia nic?  Unless you just want to play with
gigabit there is no real need (especially in a small setup).
On this system, I just want to play with gigabit:) I would like to see if it makes a difference with tuxracer.

tries to boot, it errors out using forcedeth module (says something about changing option 129 in /etc/dhcpd.conf). I suspect the boot process sees the nforce nic and assumes I want to boot from it rather

Yes, on board nics are typically seen first.

than the intel nic. I modified /etc/dhcpd.conf on the server, changing the mac address for ws001 and option 129 to e1000. Now when it tries to boot, it says something about too big (It flashes by fast) and then goes to a cannot boot screen. tail -f /var/log/messages only shows tftp client does not accept options

In the dhcpd.conf file you probably need to specify pxelinux.0 as the
filename because it sounds like you are using the e1000's pxe
implementation.

Tim
Thanks Tim! changing the filename to pxelinux.0 for ws001 did help, but now I am back to the forcedeth module problem. I am going to read the docs on k12ltsp.org and look at the wiki.

Thanks again,

Dale