Re: [K12OSN] LTSP Setup question.

Jim Christiansen wrote:

All I would need is for a 192.168.1.x/21 network
one win dhcp server 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.255
one k12 dhcp server 192.168.2.0- 192.168.3.255
one wireless router gateway 192.168.4.0 - 192.168.5.255 (for notebook access)

Since you've only deployed one server that actually does stuff, serving sessions to LTSP clients, I don't think you need to worry about using different scopes and more DHCP servers.

Simply adjust your subnet mask so you have enough addresses for everything that needs one and let the K12LTSP server act as the only DHCP server. Only network boot enabled clients will start as LTSP clients, the rest will just get an Ip-address and go about their normal business.

The reason I have four DHCP servers on my setup is, that I want to spread the load on the four K12LTSP servers, without having to get into elaborate setup of load balancing (if at all possible) and maintain the ability to 'take out' a server or two for maintenance, without having to reconfigure an awful lot.

hope this helps

Samps