[K12OSN] can't access samba shares from winxp

Dear Folks,
	what do I need to do to have full access to samba shares from a
winxp computer? The win98 and win2k boxes have no problem finding the
shares by names set up in smb.conf, like, say "\\private\home". The winxp
pro can find the samba servers only by address and finds only the publicly
accessible stuff - nothing with user level authentication. This is the
case for both K12LTSP 3.1.2 and 4.1.0. It is rather annoying to users and
they annoy me in turn, unfortunately I am really hoplessly lost when it
comes to M$ setups. Thanks, julius