[K12OSN] can't access samba shares from winxp

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Oct 17 16:30:06 UTC 2004

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

>Dear Folks,
>	what do I need to do to have full access to samba shares from a
>winxp computer? The win98 and win2k boxes have no problem finding the
>shares by names set up in smb.conf, like, say "\\private\home". The winxp
>pro can find the samba servers only by address and finds only the publicly
>accessible stuff - nothing with user level authentication. This is the
>case for both K12LTSP 3.1.2 and 4.1.0. It is rather annoying to users and
>they annoy me in turn, unfortunately I am really hoplessly lost when it
>comes to M$ setups. Thanks, julius

Hello Julius,

I was in a smaller-scale version of the same situation about a year
ago.  The whole shop runs XP on the desktop, but GNU/Linux and Samba 3.0
on the server.  What it sounds like is a WINS issue.  Are your XP boxes
pointing to the same NBNS as the Samba box?  They need to be, otherwise
things'll break.

If that checks out, though, then you might be looking at a stale WINS
cache on the Samba server.  This assumes that your NBNS is Samba.  Stop
nmbd, head over to the /var/lib/samba directory and delete wins.dat.
Restart nmbd.  This helped me out of a jam just last week with a new
server install; "server01" was resolving to 192.168.0.253, the original
IP address of the server, but I had changed it to something else.

--TP