Re: [K12OSN] can't access samba shares from winxp

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, [ISO-8859-1] "Terrell Prudï, Jr." wrote:

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

Dear Folks,
	what do I need to do to have full access to samba shares from a
winxp computer? The win98 and win2k boxes have no problem finding the
shares by names set up in smb.conf, like, say "\\private\home". The winxp
pro can find the samba servers only by address and finds only the publicly
accessible stuff - nothing with user level authentication. This is the
case for both K12LTSP 3.1.2 and 4.1.0. It is rather annoying to users and
they annoy me in turn, unfortunately I am really hoplessly lost when it
comes to M$ setups. Thanks, julius

Hello Julius,

I was in a smaller-scale version of the same situation about a year
ago.  The whole shop runs XP on the desktop, but GNU/Linux and Samba 3.0
on the server.  What it sounds like is a WINS issue.  Are your XP boxes
pointing to the same NBNS as the Samba box?  They need to be, otherwise
things'll break.

If that checks out, though, then you might be looking at a stale WINS
cache on the Samba server.  This assumes that your NBNS is Samba.  Stop
nmbd, head over to the /var/lib/samba directory and delete wins.dat.
Restart nmbd.  This helped me out of a jam just last week with a new
server install; "server01" was resolving to 192.168.0.253, the original
IP address of the server, but I had changed it to something else.

Terrell,
	the depth of my ignorance is such that I don't even know what NBNS
is. The only samba servers I run are K12LTSP boxes and an HP-UX server. I
did notice that I don't have wins.dat file anywhere, I don't even have
/var/lib/samba directory.
	Thanks, julius

NBNS = "NetBIOS Name Server". The MS implementation of this is called WINS. Do a search from / for wins.dat (find / -name 'wins.dat*' -print), and when you find it...KILL IT. >-)

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>