[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Oct 18 00:21:36 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Sunday, October 17, 2004 at 6:34 AM +0000 wrote:
>I tried just creating them on the E-smith server but it didn't work.
>Apparently K12LTSP needs to store some info about each and everyone of
>them.
>It's not a big hassle tho' and their passwords don't need to be
>maintained on the K12LTSP server, only on the E-smith.
>
>Much of what I've done to get it running has been trial-of-error. I only
>really started digging into K12LTSP recently, and into Linux only this
>year, so I'm still a struggling newbie. Most likely, someone will be
>able to tell me about simpler or more correct ways to do things but I'm
>learning a lot and I really appreciate that.

Hope you don't mind. I'm living vicariously through you at the moment :-)
Try this if you get a chance....create the user in E-Smith (SME)...mount
the home dir and then use the reset desktop command on the K12LTSP server
to "populate" the home folder with the necessary stuff.....the command is
found in /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux.....then run the
reset-default-desktop command (usage:   . reset-default-desktop username)
I suspect that your creating the users on the K12LTSP box is simply
"populating" the home folder with the necessary stuff during the creation,
and this may simply replace this process.  To do it for all users use the
"reset-all-desktops" command in the same directory.  This is just like
using "reset desktop" as a session...does not destroy users data...it
simply copies the contents of /etc/skel to the user's home dir.  One idea
that may help....you may need to change the permissions for the home dirs
to do this....change them to  chmod 777 /home/*   and when you finish
change them back chmod 700 /home/*

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School