[K12OSN] "fatter" client setup

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Oct 18 01:39:11 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Sunday, October 17, 2004 at 5:00 PM +0000 wrote:
>This was just mentioned on freshmeat.net:
>  http://drbl.sourceforge.net/
>It is a network boot setup that differs from LTSP in that
>the clients load programs over NFS but run them locally.
>In theory that should allow more clients per server if
>the clients are P200's or better.  They also have something
>called 'clonezilla' for rolling out full installs on
>client hard drives.

very interesting!  I'm wondering...whaddya' think (anyone) Could it be
possible to run "both" on one server?  The main issue I can see would be
how to differentiate the booting which might be solvable with multiple
NIC's.  I'm intrigued about this as it may help performance.  I'm guessing
this is basically similar to a "diskless netboot" in which the host
systems (client) resources are used in the process....ie: the CPU and RAM.
 In most cases I'm willing to bet that folks are using at least 200 mhz
machines and many have at least 128 mb RAM or more.  Even the machines
from diskless workstations are way above this miminum spec.  All of my
machines are at least Pentium 1 with 166+ mhz....although I have to say
that 95% or more are Pentium Pro or PII or better.  I may just try this to
see how it works on a sandbox system.  I may do a server install of
K12LTSP without the LTSP bits and instead use the DRBL stuff in it's
place.  If anyone else tries this...share your results.  Maybe it could be
an optional install for K12LTSP in the future.  Just a thought.....kinda'
along the lines of pursuing "Stateless Linux".

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us