Re: [K12OSN] Changing default web browser (globaly)

Burroughs, Henry wrote:

You can tell I'm on a roll tonight. ;-) What do I need to modify so that when the user clicks on the "web-browser" button on the GNOME panel for it to launch an alternate browser (ie: Firefox) instead of mozilla. I basically know how the gnome-default-applications-properties program modifies settings for the user, but where are the global/default settings? I'm trying to get it switched over before I have everyone pile onto the new server. Have a great evening!

I tried to do it like this:

1) Installed Firefox in /usr/local/firefox-installer/

2) Then  in  /usr/bin
cp mozilla  mozilla142     (so as not to lose it)

3) rm mozilla

4) ln -s /usr/local/firefox-installer/firefox mozilla

then tried to launch firefox with original mozilla icon and I got an error saying run-mozilla.sh could not execute mozilla-bin
No joy.

So then I just created a launcher on my root gnome desktop for firefox and pushed it to all users. I told my class to import the netscape/mozilla settings for bookmarks and the manual proxy setting the first time it runs. But for some reason firefox seemed to think that every user was already running firefox and asked for another id name other than default. In the meantime my server (dual xeon) got hammered with over 80% cpu util. (and it was a small class of 10)

Sadly, we went back to Moz 1.4.2. Hoping Eric will have the updated Mozilla packages for 3.1.2 in the yum repository soon.

Robert Arkiletian