Re: [K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Michael Williams wrote:
Hello,
	I wanted to get a wiring opinion from the list.  I need to extend a
network from a school office to a few adjacent buildings.  Each building
will have 5 or less workstations or LTS clients.  The lengths are less
than 30m.  I am considering running cat5e/6 thru metal conduit -vs-
fiber.  I am concerned with ground potential between buildings and cable
loss etc -vs- cat2fiber and fiber2cat costs.  Can I try it with cat, or
should I just use fiber?

We use fiber on all runs like this, for the same reasons you list, ground
potential and the like.

Michael

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I think I will only consider fiber now. I found 100TX-100FX converters for ~=$150 at http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10011071&loc=101&sp=1
Now I need to look at cable prices. Does this media converter sound like a resonable option? Also, for the buried cable issues brought up by others, this will be run in a seperate conduit under the roof of a covered metal walkway between buildings.

Thanks,

Dale