Re: [K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Cat 5 in conduit is not fine, unless you like buying new switches on each end every time there is a thunderstorm. You simply can't run copper between buildings unless you are quite sure that the cables are properly grounded and the equipment on each end is as well. You will actually save money (and innumerable headaches) by running fiber (or using wireless).

To paraphrase what someone else wrote earlier, "Do NOT run copper between buildings!!".