Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:49:46 +0100
From: Martin Woolley <sysadmin handsworth bham sch uk>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN]  NIS user authenticated OK but
nothing works
To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
	<k12osn redhat com>

On Tuesday 19 Oct 2004 12:46 pm, Lewis Holcroft wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Is your /var/yp/securenets file setup to allow
access to the client
> subnets? Just a guess. I'm new to this NIS stuff and
this is the best
> could come up with pre coffee.

Oh yes; that's the first thing I checked.
I've setup NIS/NFS with the O'Reilly book in one hand
and this tutorial
on the
screen http://freeos.com/articles/2843/ and still it
doesn't work.
Perhaps
the NIS software is broken?  I gather from various
newsgroups that
people are
moving away from NIS to LDAP (which I can well do
without as I've found
LDAP
to be very fragile and very difficult to setup).
Does anyone have
any
working NIS installations and if so, are they williing
to share config
files?
--
Regards