From: Rita Gibson <rgibson57 earthlink net>
Date: 2004/10/20 Wed PM 02:50:48 EDT
To: "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Squid & Content filtering

Someone who knows far more than me handles the firewall and internet filtering at our school. But I have been trying to learn some stuff on my own and saw a recommendation for IPCop on this list. At home, I have installed IPCop and dansguardian. There are very good howto's out there on the IPCop site, and with IPCop the updates and everything are right there on the site, and fairly automated with a web interface. The howto I followed off the IPCop "addons" site have you using a combination of dansguardian and the squidguard blacklists. I still haven't been able to figure out how to tweak dansguardian so that it doesn't block too much, but I'm figuring it out slowly but surely. I have my own teenagers here at home, and get plenty of feedback.

I had the CD burned, and the howtos printed out already, in thirty minutes I had installed and configured everything with the howtos.

Rita Gibson
Tech Support
RMSEL

Huck wrote:

I use dansguardian and squid...both older versions on an older version of redhat..

--Huck

KJ wrote:

Hello,
I have installed (Finally!) K12 LTSP and it is working great! I had a bad CD player, took me weeks to figure that out (I'm not worthy to be a geek anymore!) :-)

Now my question is Squid and Content filtering. I have been unable to get Squid to work, I'm not really sure where to look or what to do to get started, can anyone point me in the right direction? (ie. websites with HOWTO's or something) I'd really appreciate it.

Also if you can tell me what you use for content filtering and what seems to be the best, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
KJ
The "How far the mighty have fallen" geek