[K12OSN] Pros & Cons of upgrading a Production Server from RH8.0 to FC2?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Oct 20 19:59:05 UTC 2004

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:

> i'm in the process of installing a Fedora Core 2 (K12LTSP) box  at
> this very moment to try out Centre 1.2 (open-source School Information
> System app).  FC2 LOOKS really slick.  Nice eye-candy.  Very
> professional looking OS.
>
> I noticed that FC2 comes with Mozilla 1.7 and Gimp 2!  That's
> awesome!  I'd like to put those on my Production Servers running
> RedHat8.0.  And I thought the easiest, fastest way would be to simply
> upgrade from RH8 to FC2.  I am wrong in this thinking?
>
> What are the Pros and Cons of upgrading from RH8 to FC2?  Remember
> this is for two Production Servers, not Experimental Servers.

I agree with the other posters; I wouldn't do it during the school year
unless I were forced to, i. e. if I had no other choice.

I've not upgraded the GIMP itself before, but I do upgrade Mozilla 1.x,
Firefox, T-bird, OpenOffice.org, OpenSSL, OpenSSH, and the kernel on a
regular basis.  Other than the kernel updates, there's no downtime, so
the users never know.  Since I do the kernel updates in the evening
after school, the users actually don't know about that, either.  :-)  In
my experience, upgrading the specific app that you want/need is easier
than the entire operating environment.  I would imagine that the GIMP
would be similar.

Any of the Mozilla products in particular are easy to upgrade, and the
method is described in a recent previous thread.

--TP