Re: [K12OSN] backing up user prefs & docs

Debbie Schiel wrote:

Hi all,

This is probably a simple task but I don't know how to do it.

I just want to make a backup of a user's files & prefs & settings, eg: 'guest'

I copied the /home/guest folder as root (so included hidden files).
Then I created user 'guest' with same user ID & password on another machine and replaced the /home/guest folder with the one I had just copied.
Resulted in errors when I tried to log in as guest.

If this is the way one is supposed to do it (i.e. just a straight copy of /home/user) then I can work on the errors and try fix whatever I've done wrong. But is there a "proper" way of backing up user prefs & docs?

Thanks,

Debbie

You want to throw a few more switches, like so:

cp -rp /home/guest /my/backup/place

The "r" does a recursive copy, and the "p" preserves permissions, file creation/modification times, etc.

One other tidbit: since this is GNU/Linux that we're talking about here, you can also add the "v" ("verbose") switch so that you can see each file as it's copied; I always do this whenever possible. Thus, the command I use in actual practice is as follows:

cp -rpv /source/tree /my/backup/place

Note that the -v switch is one of the famous GNU extensions to the original UNIX command set, i. e. it's not supported on "stock" HP-UX, OpenBSD, and a few others, unless you install the GNU versions on those operating systems. I always do this at the earliest opportunity.

--TP

--
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>