[K12OSN] moving /home to separate drive

Does anyone have any tips for moving /home to a separate drive and then upgrading to 4.1 without losing all the /home data?
I'm just not clear on what settings you'd choose during install to ensure that you set up the directory structure properly, with /home on a separate drive, but not erasing anything there. I'm starting from a botched "upgrade" install of 4.1 already, but my server is hosed. I need to keep everything in the /home directory, but I'd like to do a clean install of everything else and reconfigure from scratch.

Does SATA work pretty well with FC2/K12LTSP4.1?

Anybody got a step by step procedure written down for doing this?

Thanks so much,

ck