Re: [K12OSN] FreeNX setup for Fedora 2...K12LTSP? Try this...

David Trask wrote:

Hey all,

Right now all I have is a production server, but I may try this on a
sandbox in a couple days....here's the deal....I'm interested in getting
FreeNX running on K12LTSP. If you don't know anything about NX....I urge
you to go to the www.nomachine.com web site and sign up for a free trial
and connect to one of their remote servers via the client. Given the
specs of the server....in Italy no less....the speed was quite good. Anyway...the free Open Source version is FreeNX and there are instructions
for putting it on Fedora Core 2 (and others if you uncomment lines) here

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

If anyone gets a chance to try it out...let me know how you made out....if
you were successful I might give it a go on my production server....it
runs on sshd so it may be a way for us to offer off site access to our
servers....or by use of a WAN.  Knoppix now comes with the client.  But
the client is free for all OS's.  Check the site out....does anyone see
why it wouldn't work on a stock K12LTSP server?  (as another method of
distributing the session?)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us
(207)923-3100

Check http://ltsp.criticalcontrol.com on the bottom is a how-to install the FreeNX server from scratch.
The rpm's work just fine (make sure you remove everything from a source install if you try the rpm's including users that get created)
I had nxviewer working on a client inside a gnome session.
It would be nice to have X-compression between server and DCs, this would require a special screen script I think.

Pete

--

Any technology distinguishable from
foodoo-magic is insufficiently advanced.

Peter Van den Wildenbergh Linux Administrator (& advocate)

CriticalControl Solutions Inc.
Bow Valley Square II
Suite 2400
205 - 5th avenue SW