Re: [K12OSN] Introduction/Question

aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:

school lets connect and share knowledge (however limited it might be, at
least on my part...). I am willing to help.

Lastly, if you have or are considering building a lab in an elementary

Stop !!! this is my opinion, you must form your own. Quinn the biggest problem I see in the Elementary level and k12LTSP is lack of applications. That is windows only strength in my mind. Elementary schools run tons of multimedia software, AccReader, SuccessMaker, others... Most don't work under linux. School districts ( the industry ) in general need to start demanding native linux applications --- IBM get moving !!! Again Quinn please form your own opinion. I use my student input constantly. Students are pretty flexible. Adults ? now that is the problem :)

It's here where I believe a Paul Nelson quote is appropriate. From http://www.redhat.com/advice/ask_pnelson.html:

"RH: Name the killer OSS apps for education that exist today? That lack?"

"PN: The real question is how should kids be using computers in schools? They should be gathering and analyzing information, using email to collaborate with learning partners around the world, using software to present their ideas for peer review and exploring the creative powers of computers in music and art. Isn't that just how we use software as adults? That's how kids need to use software. OSS has everything we need to do this and more right now.

"Some educators will cite the lack of traditional educational packages for Linux that teach reading or math with funny rabbits that wink at you and say "Good job!" I just don't think we need to go there. Teachers don't need cute teaching applications. They just need computers that work and provide basic access to the software we all use everyday."

I agree with Paul--a classroom teacher, remember--wholeheartedly on this.

--TP