Re: [K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

>Basically, you simply cat the EtherBoot floppy to your hard disk. >Here's how I did it.

>Make your EtherBoot boot floppy. Grab something like Damn Small Linux
>(http://www.damnsmalllinux.org) and burn the ISO image to a CD-R. Boot
>your terminal with it. D.S.L. has actually been shown to allow GUI
>access in 16MB DRAM on a 486!! (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html)
>Of course, I would recommend no less than 32MB on the clients.

> Once you're booted, pop your EtherBoot boot floppy in and do this:

> root box# cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda

>Very cool solution, however most P-Is don't have a CDROM, would >blasting some old HD with the floppy image and then (ghost) copying on >to other drives work as well based on the same NIC in place?

I'm joining in this conversation a bit late, but I have the same issue.

We have lots of old PCs that can boot fine as clients via the floppy method, but how am I going to stop kids from messing with the floppies? It would be great to burn the floppy to the hard drive.

I tried the method describe in :
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical:Booting:Client:LiLo
but rom-o-matic don't have .lzlilo so I tried .zlilo and .liso.
The .liso is 1.5mb so it doesn't fit on a floppy so I tried the zlilo and it didn't work (not the right type?)

So I improvised.
I used toms root boot, because these PCs don't have CDROMs, and then took the rom floppy (it normally boots the client up fine so I know it's the right one) and tried # cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda ....

The poor PC made a lot of beeping and crunching noises, and digits and stuff flashed up on the screen... I let it go on for another five minutes then I put the thing out of its misery.
I also tried # cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1

I don't know what I'm doing here - just following instructions to the dot. Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Debbie

--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/