Re: [K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

OK! This is where I was going wrong (for any newbies out there trying to do the same thing)

I was following the method describe in
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical:Booting:Client:LiLo

*excellent* instructions, step-by-step.
Except when they say "5...copy [the rom] to a floppy..." THEY MEAN WHAT THEY SAY - COPY!! 'CP' NOT 'CAT' - DUH!! Takes me a while to figure these things out, but I seem to get there in the end.

So my old Digital PCs can now boot, without a floppy, straight to my server - another milestone for me!

cliebow wrote:
sounds like your image is corrupt..

Hi Les

It worked... kinda...
When I boot it now says Loading ROM image.. and then a row of numbers repeated over and over. BUT at least I know now how to copy the floppy to the hard drive. If I reboot with the same floppy still in, then it boots up as a client. But it doesn't seem to like it copied to the hard drive. I'll go back to rom-o-matic and try the other rom images...

Thanks for the tip.

Debbie

Les Bell wrote:

Debbie Schiel <debbie redeemer qld edu au> wrote:

I used toms root boot, because these PCs don't have CDROMs, and then took the rom floppy (it normally boots the client up fine so I know it's the right one) and tried # cat /dev/fd0 /dev/hda .... <<

I've never done that stuff myself, so take my advice with a pinch of
whatever. However, if you were trying to copy the contents of the floppy to
the hard drive, the command should be

cat /dev/fd0 > /dev/hda

and you shouldn't see any rubbish on the screen. You could also use the dd
command

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda

See if that helps. . .

Best,