[K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

OK! This is where I was going wrong (for any newbies out there trying to do the same thing)

I was following the method describe in
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/Technical:Booting:Client:LiLo

*excellent* instructions, step-by-step.
Except when they say "5...copy [the rom] to a floppy..." THEY MEAN WHAT THEY SAY - COPY!! 'CP' NOT 'CAT' - DUH!! Takes me a while to figure these things out, but I seem to get there in the end.

So my old Digital PCs can now boot, without a floppy, straight to my server - another milestone for me!

Hello all,
I've seen this thread bounced around a few times since I signed on to this list and, being a Windows guy from way back, most of it has been Greek to me. So, for others who might be in my shoes, I thought I'd share my solution to this issue. I snagged a copy of FreeDOS from www.freedos.org and made a boot floppy. From there I can use the familiar, old DOS commands like FDISK, FORMAT, and SYS. Then I downloaded the "DOS Executable ROM Image" appropriate for my NICs (RTL8139.com, for example) from Rom-O-Matic and then created an "Autoexec.bat" file with "Copy CON" that runs the file. In fact, with a little bit of DOS batch scripting I've created a single disk that will wipe out any existing partitions, create a new partition, format the new C: drive and make it bootable. Then the user gets a choice of the most common NIC ROMs and by pressing 1,2 or 3, can instruct the system to copy all the necessary files to the newly erased drive. It's perfect for me since I can hand the disk to a student (or a loosely trained monkey, for that matter) and have them roll out new thin clients with minimal effort. I'm sure the Tom's Root Boot/LILO method is just as good, but I've got too many Linux learning curve issues right now to try to figure out a new way to do something I've been doing for 15 years. Still Free and Open Source with no curtsy to Redmond necessary.

--

C-ya,
Mark