Re: [K12OSN] sata as secondary HD - server won't boot [OT]

Check Dells web site for a bios update - I had to get an updated bios on one that I worked with one time to get all the bios functions back - they dumb down the default one that ships with some units to avoid user errors.

Carl Keil wrote:
I totally hear what you're saying.  There are a few problems when it comes
to my individual situation though.  I bought this dell on ebay, not through
dell.  It was only $349.  I had to upgrade the RAM and I bought the sata
drive, but still waaay shy of $2K.

I've been going through the bios for hours and I don't see much.  It is
incredibly simplistic.  Every option seems like either "auto" or "off".  The
thing that's killing me, I really believe is this "C:" drive as basically
the only HD boot option in the "boot options" menu.  There is a whole other
menu you can go into on boot, called "boot options" if you hit F12 instead
of F2 for the BIOS.  When I hit F12 I can see a better list of boot options.
Primary/Secondary SATA Primary/Secondary ATA etc.  If I select Primary ATA
from this list I boot up fine.  This is going to have to work for a while
for me, but I don't like not being able to just reboot and have it come up
normally.

I don't understand why I can't have this complete list in the normal BIOS.
Is there some trick?  I keep thinking there must be some kind of trick, like
holding down the option key or something when going into the BIOS or
something that puts it into expert mode, because the options are soooo
limited.

ck