[K12OSN] GDM does not start

The gdm does not start when I boot my server.
I would get the problem where X would load, but
nothing else would happen. Then I found a site that said to
check if the xdmcp port was open. I found that it was not
open and found I need to start gdm to have it available.

What can I do to get gdm to load automatically?
I know I could add it to rc.local manually, but I'm
assuming that this would be a service/daemon that
should already be starting. Can someone offer advice
on how to find out why it is not running?

Thanks
Brad B