[K12OSN] OT: Using tar on win98 clients

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm doing the ever necessary task of ghosting.  I would be using partimage (and I was), except some of the hard disks are different sizes (and partimage doesn't support shrinking).  I'm using a knoppix cd  (3.4 i think).

I'm trying tar (trying to keep it simple), and when I restore the image onto a fresh drive, it still won't boot properly (I'm even using msdos fdisk /mbr to reset the MBR).  So the MBR is in place, it just doesn't want to load from there.  Any suggestions or hints?  THanks.

Basically, my requirements are a imaging program (or tar) that handles restoring to smaller drives (of course, big enough for the actual data).

I've spent waaaay too much time trying to get this monster to work.

Henry