Re: [K12OSN] Recommended Server for 25 terminals on K12LTSP 4

on my first test machine I used a P4 2.6 ghz with 2gig of ram...
slow start up...but after start up everything was smooth....20 client machines

--Huck

Karolow, Mike [ITS] wrote:

If it's the type of situation where all 25 machines are going to log on
at once, like in a lab where all the students sit down and fire up the
machines together, I think there would be some *serious* lag there. Once
everyone's going, then you'd be fine. I'm running just a few machines
from a P-III 700 and load times are rough, so with 25 even on a faster
processor...

Mike Karolow
Volunteer IT Administrator
the greenhouse school
Salem, Ma, USA

------------------------------

Huck wrote:

If you wanna do it on the cheap(not looking for growth)...

Grab an AMD 2000+ chip with about 3 gigs of ram...
40 gig hd if ppl aren't saving too much stuff to the server...
the gigabit ethernet is very helpful...

and that'll hold ya quite easily...

--Huck

Wayne Fulton wrote:

We are looking into setting up a K12LTSP lab with 25
workstations. What type of server minimal specs (memory, hard
drive, scsi or ide, processor) do you recommend?

Thanks!
Wayne