Re: [K12OSN] SCSI hard drive speed

Liam Marshall wrote:

I have upgraded as far as I can go for this year. Performance is acceptable, except that more than 2 instances of thin clients running tux type or tux math bogs entire system down. Everything else functions well. Staroffice and FireFox running simultaneously on 25+ machines doing research essays perform well enough for our school's needs.

For next year, or next term if I am lucky, I am thinking of upgrading the hard drives. Currently using an old IBM SCSI drive (9gb) for /root and a Seagate SCSI (18 gb and 5400 rpm) for /home /opt and /swap.

Would 11000, or 15000 rpm SCSI drives show any kind of performance increase? Even if they don't I would probably still upgrade them eventually to gain more storage anyway, but it would be nice to justify the bigger drive(s) by saying that the increased rpm would make a noticable improvement in performance

Ideas/suggestions?

Are you running Gigabit Ethernet on your server? If you're running TuxType or TuxMath, then this matters. In previous threads, I've mentioned how, during a bandwidth measurement of TuxType, I saw 73Mb/sec being sucked up by just one client playing the game. If you've only got a 100Mbps card in your server, you're going to peg its capacity very, very quickly with TuxType or TuxMath. The same goes for anything else that does a lot of screen updates like that. StarOffice and Firefox, used for doing research essays, don't do a bunch of screen updates like that, so they're much more "compatible" with lower-bandwidth situations.

Think of it like this: You've got four or five kids who want to leave a room through the one standard-sized (32-in wide) door in the room. That works. However, when you try 40 kids all trying to cram their way out of that same door, you gonna have ze problem. This is why high schools tend to have that string of, maybe 15 doors in the front entrance (ours do, anyway).

I've played TuxType and TuxMath, multiple sessions, on servers with 40-pin, 7200-RPM IDE drives--but which had Gig-E--and it was just dandy. If you can go with fiber, so much the better (immune to EM interference), but a short run of Cat5-based Gig-E should be just fine, too.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>