Re: [K12OSN] Broadcast message

This can be done using xmessage. Since it is part of XFree86, we don't have to worry about which window manager is being used.

One thing I'm not sure about are permission settings with xauth. It also need to have the DISPLAY environmental variable temporarily set to the display you wish the message to pop up on.

Luis

David Trask wrote:

Ok....I think it's time we find a way to do this and incorporate it as a
feature in something like TeacherTool.  It has been brought up way too
many times.  This is a feature in Windows Terminal Server 2003 and should
be in K12ltsp as well if we can figure it out.  Any ideas?

What it needs....

A GUI interface to type in the message.

A "winpopup" style message that pops to the top (front) of the desired
users desktop

and a nice feature would be the ability to kill or cancel the message by
the admin...or perhaps a timed feature