Re: [K12OSN] not turning on DHCP by default

Jay Pfaffman wrote:

I've been managing networks and Linux for 10 years.  Twice in the past
3 months I've set up a new K12LTSP box and inadvertently had the wrong
Ethernet port plugged in to the network and brought down the
building's network (OK, not the whole network, just anyone who
requested a new IP number via DHCP).

Am I the only dope? I recognize the importance of having things just
work after the install, but perhaps there's some way to provide some
protection. I know I'll never make this mistake again, but I said
that last time.

Here is what i do, before i stick in the nic's i write the last 4 digits of the mac address with a felt pen near the RJ-45 connector. Once K12ltsp installed, i check the mac-ethx correspondance and write on the nic's eth whatever.