Re: [K12OSN] Broadcast message

This is a good start.

Could you call this from XDialog?

Petre Scheie wrote:

I, too, was playing with xmessage, on Luis's suggestion, and came up with this quick & dirty script (which I'll call brmsg for discussion purposes):

#!/bin/bash

# brmsg: Send a broadcast message to all terminal screens

for x in `seq 1 30` do xmessage -center -timeout 10 -display 192.168.0.${x}:0.0 "$@" & done

One would then call brmsg this way at a command prompt from the server:

brmsg Please logout now or you may be expelled

The message will pop up on the client for 10 seconds and then disappear. It needs some refinement: For the seq range, it would be better to get a list of clients where someone is actually logged in so it doesn't waste time sending messages to irrelevant workstations; using 'who -T' and piping it to awk would be one way to get such a list. And, as David suggested, and graphical version of this would be nicer; perhaps I'll try something in perl/tk this weekend (no gaurantees, I've got a ton of leaves to rake).

One requirement is that the client workstation must be configured to accept such messages, which in my server-and-one-client K12LSTP ver 3.0.1 here in my cube, the clients are not. This can be fixed by adding

xhost +192.168.0.254

to every user's ~/.profile. This will allow such messages to be sent from the server, but not from other clients which could be a nightmare, e.g. clever students with too much time on their hands.

Hopefully this is a start.

Petre

David Trask wrote:

Ok...I've never played with xmessage until now....I just tried it, but xmessage -Hi There! only shows up on my onw desktop.....how do I
broadcast to all or at least to a chosen user?