Re: [K12OSN] Can't launch Firefox

Bill Bardon wrote:

On Friday, Oct 29 Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Installed Firefox to

/usr/local/firefox-installer/

when clients try to launch the firefox binary from a terminal they get

this message keeps being displayed in an infinite loop.

Does someone know how to solve this?

Did you perform the very first run of Firefox as root on the server?
Firefox on Linux requires this to properly initialize some files.

I think you could still login as root, run Firefox, and all would be
well after that.  If not, uninstall and reinstall, then run as root the
first time.

I agree. "Traditional" Mozilla also requires this.

The newer Firefox versions, it seems, on certain distros (SuSE Linux 9.1, for example) don't appear to absolutely require this anymore. Just yesterday I upgraded to Firefox 1.0rc1 from 1.0PR, and I forgot to run it as root (I installed the "old-fashioned" way--just unzipping the tarball to an empty directory). Worked like a charm anyway, which I found rather interesting. However, it's never wrong to run it as root the first time, just in case.

One other thing: you might consider installing Firefox into a directory whose name doesn't say, "Oh, I'm the install directory". Better always to install to an empty directory. I've always used /usr/local/firefox, for example. To make sure I have a rollback option, I go one step further and save the most recent "old" version. Something like this, using an upgrade from Firefox 0.9.3 to Firefox 1.0rc1 as an example.

First, rename the "current" installation:

root multimedia:/usr/local# mv firefox firefox-0.9.3

Now, install Firefox the usual way that you do it, into, say, /usr/local/firefox. When done, do this:

root multimedia:/usr/local# mv firefox firefox-1.0rc1

Now, symlink the new installation to the name "firefox":

root multimedia:/usr/local# ln -s firefox-1.0rc1 firefox

Of course, you could simply install the new one into "firefox-1.0rc1" if you're using the firefox-installer, but the "traditional" package untar's into "firefox/". Thus, this method will work with that, too.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>