[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1 Install Woes

Dean Mumby dean at mumby.co.za
Thu Sep 9 22:00:57 UTC 2004

Ken Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:52:07 -0400, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>> Ken Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, I cannot get eth1 to see the Internet and when I
>>> try to log in a workstation, it fails and shuts down the monitor
>>> on the workstation. How can I stop the scrolling screen text,
>>> long enough to read it.
>>>

>>> eth1 is active, but I can't reach the 'net. I have another
>>> standalone machine which just has one NIC - set up as a
>>> standalone workstation (not a workstation on my K12ltsp server).
>>> It is working fine - (internet access)
>>>

>>> I have reinstalled version 4.1 (too)many times. What am I doing
>>> wrong? Why isn't it working? What should I do next? How can I
>>> troubleshoot this?
>>>

>> It is entirely possible that your interfaces are switched as others
>> have discussed on this list.
>> Try swapping your cables between eth0 and eth1 and see if that
>> makes a difference.
>
> Thank you! Swapping cables fixed my internet access problem, but I
> still can't boot up a workstation.
>

> I am trying to boot the workstation with a floppy. I have Realtek 8139
> network cards.
>

> I made the boot image with the 'cat' command but the workstation says
> "Searching for server (DHCP)........" and that's as far as it gets.
>

> During a previous attempt it saw the server, but hung anyway.
>

> Is there something that I am missing? How can I (should I)  boot with
> pxe ? (specifically). I am by no means a Linux expert, but I can
> follow a trail of breadcrumbs.
>

> Thanks again,
>

> Ken Johnson

Well I also had a night mare with two on-board nics so I disabled one
and set-up the box as a single server. I was able to get past dhcp but I
am continuously presented with a "doing pivot_root" message on the
client which has a rtl8139 nic booting using pxe. I have googled for
days and re-installed 3 times. I am at my wits end , k12ltsp 3.x ran a
hell of a lot easier. something else I noticed is that once being
installed if you run the ltspadmin it will tell you that the services
are running fine but that your files are not configured , if you let it
configure your files you end up with almost duplicate entries ,
especially in /etc/exports , one line exports /opt/ltsp/i386 and another
exports /opt/ltsp  are we supposed to use the ltspadmin utility or
simply edit from the files ?

any body with any ideas about the pivot_root problem , I would love to
hear them.

Regards
Dean