[K12OSN] bottleneck question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Sep 13 04:19:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 21:19, Liam Marshall wrote:
> how hard would changing the motherboard and consequently the
> nics be to the hard drives, already loaded and configured?
> what I am most  concerned about is the nics, already configured
> and working with the old nics.  if I move the hard drives into
> a new system and boot up, is the kernel smart enough to detect
> the changes and modify itself?

The worst that will happen with the NICs is that they may
be detected in a different order.  If both are the same speed
you just have to switch the connections.  If you have one gig
NIC and need to keep it as the uplink to the clients you might
have to do some manual tweaking to force it to be eth0.  If
your drives are IDE you shouldn't have any trouble moving them.
If they are scsi, you need to have the same kind of controller
or you will have problems making them boot in the new system.
It is possible to fix that by booting from CD, adjusting the
modules.conf (or modprobe.conf) and rebuilding the initrd
but it is probably easier to reinstall, keeping the /home
partition and copies of your passwd, etc. files to drop back
in afterwords.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com