[K12OSN] Booting Problems

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 11:27:34 UTC 2004

Yes, you can do a fresh install leavning /home intact (reason enough
for keeping /home in its own partition).  But you almost certainly
don't need to do that.  And if you do, you really want your password
database (/etc/passwd, group, shadow) too.

Boot off a Knoppix CD & fsck the drives, especially the /boot
parition.  That'll probably solve your problem, but if it doesn't you
can use Knoppix to move your data somewhere else.

When you get your system back up, start making backups.  The way that
I do it is run an old machine with a big IDE drive.  Every hour a
process runs that rsync's the hard drive to the backup machine.  The
backup machine keeps 1-2 hour, 1-2-day and 1-2 week-old copies.  It's
mighty handy to be able to pull up an old file and I sleep better.