[K12OSN] Multiple logins ???

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Sep 21 02:35:12 UTC 2004

Here's one workaround, borrowed from some of the computer labs in my
district.  For each terminal (say you have 30 of them), number them
1-30.  Then, make userIDs called student1, student2, etc. to student30.
You can even give them all the same password.  Makes it nice and easy
for the kids.

Now, this is certainly not foolproof.  A kid acting naughtily could
easily sit at station28 and log in as student20, thus bumping student20
off, going "ha ha, got you!" in the process.  Of course, that should
mean immediate termination from the lab for that kid and a visit to the
principal's office, accident or no.  You will need a written policy,
you'll need to make said policy verbally clear the first day of class,
and you'll probably need to make an example or two of a kid or two to
make it clear that you're not kiddin'.  Some of my teachers did that
kind of thing back when I was in school ("it doesn't matter if it's an
accident, you still get kicked out, so gee, might wanna learn to be
careful"), and it did prove quite effective.  School is not a democracy,
never was a democracy, and cannot be a democracy.  With that
understanding, the above method has proven to work rather well in our
labs, both with Windows PCs and Macs, especially in the elementary
schools.  I'd expect it to work equally well with K12LTSP.

If you don't want to take that approach, then I would suggest making a
separate userID and password for each student, just like with staff
members, and with the same rules and security policy.  If the kids start
handing out their passwords and you see evidence of it, then lock those
particular accounts.

--TP