[K12OSN] remote login

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Sep 22 16:16:26 UTC 2004

I'm sure your k12box already has a static IP address, but the public
address that Adelphia assigns to the first box past the cable modem--in
your case, that would be the IPCop box, and that is likely a dynamic
address. If it were a static address, that would be easier, but they
cost more than dynamic addresses.  But there are ways around that, too:

Check out www.dyndns.org.  With them you can get up to five subdomains
for free, and they have a bunch of domains to choose from.  So, for
example, my home webserver's DNS name is petre.homedns.org.  Dyndns owns
the homedns.org domain, and I signed up for the petre part of that
domain.  Then, you download onto the ipcop box a dynamic agent that
periodically looks at the address that your ISP has assigned to you and
then it goes and updates the address in dnydns's DNS servers.  I use
ddclient which runs as a daemon and checks my address every five
minutes.  That way, when I want to get to one of my home boxes, I just
ssh to petre.dyndns.org, and I never have to worry about what the
address is.  IPCop may even have a built-in client that can update
dyndns.org.  There are other free DNS services out there; dyndns.org is
just the one that I'm familiar with.

Petre