[K12OSN] get java

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Sep 22 16:14:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 10:47, Will Hatch wrote:
> I have not used the synaptic package manager before.
> I have several broken packages.  How do I use it?
> I lost the applets on my gnome taskbar and I noticed that
> they are listed here.  Maybe this utility will fix them!  Help!!!

Synaptic is just a gui wrapper for apt. Running
apt-get -f install
should offer to fix any broken dependencies (by removing them...).
After those are fixed you can do an
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
and
apt-get install package...
to get back to normal (as long as you remember the packages you need).

I've seen a few cases where yum and apt do slightly different things
and sometimes one will fix the other's mistakes.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com